Tuesday 6 December 2011

So, what is it that you’re studying for your PhD then? (Index)

All PhD students hear this question a lot. In this series of posts, I am going to attempt to explain the ‘what?’ AND the ‘why?’ of my PhD, without using any complicated words I haven’t explained beforehand. I hope that if you stick around to the end you will understand what I am doing and why someone asked me to do it. More importantly however, I hope you will see that ‘doing research’ is an activity which can easily be understood by anybody, because everything that is done has to be logically justified. Scientists are not the white coated oracles of a mysterious god!

I start off with ‘why’, because there’s nothing worse than reading someone describing something that seems pointless!

Part 1: A process, not an area.

Part 2: Making the samples, the natural way

Part 3: Of recrystallisation and inclusion trails

No comments:

Post a Comment