Saturday 26 September 2015

Glasgow trip part 1: city

Some of my best friends live in Glasgow, and because they wanted to make my life as easy as possible (I'm sure), decided to share a flat which includes cool pet rats and enough room for tonnes of guests. Glasgow is pretty much always on my list of stops whenever I vist the UK and as such I've been there quite a lot now. This trip was particularly exciting as it was my first visit to the flat when I hadn't either been stressing out about my doctoral thesis or in one case actually writing bits of it while I was there.

Nowadays (there were times when this was different!) my friends are very good at showing me new bits of Glasgow I haven't been to before, and I really think it is a pretty fantastic place. Lots of green, lots of restaurants, plenty of space, impressive architecture and you can get around it quite easily by subway, train, and walking. Not to mention its proximity to the great scenery of the Scottish countryside. Of course, there is one thing that famously isn't always fantastic about Glasgow, and that's the weather. But you won't hear anything about that in this blogpost, because Glasgow at the beginning of September was gloriously sunny for much of the time I was there!

Most of the photos in my gallery of sunny Glasgow pictures were taken in Kelvingrove park, a beautiful park comprising a green and leafy small valley either side of the river Kelvin, towered over by the frankly Harry-potteresque tall tower of Glasgow university and the equally imposing red sandstone bulk and towers of the Kelvingrove Gallery and Museum (also worth a visit!). The hilly nature of the park allows great views over towards the hills surrounding Glasgow, contrasting the cranes and tower blocks with the countryside beyond.

Check out the full gallery of pictures at this here linky thing, and maybe consider a trip to Glasgow if you're ever in the area! I cannot promise it will be sunny though.

Next time, photos from a trip I was taken on while in Glasgow, to the shores of the island of Arran!

Bis bald,

Der Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment