Thursday 26 March 2015

Research Seminar in the Snow

A while ago now I went to a research seminar where all the members of my department and some external collaborators met up to talk about science. This may sound interesting or boring depending on your views about the science in question, but there was an extra perk: the venue for this meeting was a 300 year old wooden alpine farmhouse in a snowy valley and well known ski resort, Saalbach-Hinterglemm.

Naturally this was not coincidence, and most of the party, professor, postdoc and student alike, were soon off on the slopes. The lecture schedule, a few hours in the morning and a few hours after dinner, was specifically designed to enable as much hurtling down snow covered slopes as possible. I, however, am a very lazy person, and naturally wary of any activity that will make me exhausted, cold, and look like a fool. Well, not always, but sometimes, while in the closing stages of writing of your thesis, you just don't want to do new things, you'd rather go have a lie down...

However, I didn't spend all my time in between lectures lying down or staring forlornly at incomplete papers on my laptop, and on one sunny day in particular I did get out for a stroll. I didn't have any snowshoes, so it was lucky that most of the paths had a good frozen crust on them or I wouldn't have got anywhere. As it was, uncharacteristicly without a map and with unclear, snowy tracks that might just have been skiing trails, I still managed to have a nice time. Definitely blew the cobwebs away, and there were some great views out down the valley and of the ice encrusted back wall. Also sun! Lots of sun!

Enjoy the photos at this handy link, I've been letting them pile up so I have more to share soon, now that I have at least handed in my thesis!

bis bald,

Der Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment