Monday 14 April 2014

A few ladders in the Steinwandklamm

A post relating to activities from quite a while back now... It's been spring since March, it's lovely! We've had a few April showers recently, distressing the locals but delivering really a very home-y feeling. There's nothing like the sun breaking through after the rainstorm! But unfortunately the last few weeks I didn't get out hiking because I needed the time for some well earned resting from all the working I had to do. I know, I didn't think that was part of the plan either! But sometimes one needs to have a day where one cleans the house, one's things, and oneself, not to mention actually going to a shop while it is open so you can eat the next day...
Hart's tongue ferns in the gorge

Luckily for you, internet, I did collect a backlog of images from March to show off. Todays photos come from a hike in the hills just a way north of the Schneeberg. Out of the Wienerwald, the highest peaks here are already nudging Ben Nevis heights, but are of course still completely forested and thus a little underwhelming. There is a well known crop of waterfalls and gorges in the area though, our goal for the hike.

In my magical book of hike near Vienna, hands down the best book I have purchased here for sheer value and enjoyment, this hike is the only one giving the prestigious black difficulty level. The reason for this is that in the gorge (Steinwandklamm) itself is a sort of mini-klettersteig (via ferrata) of a whole bunch of ladders and even a couple of mini caves to walk through, cautiously protecting your head. It's a whole lot of fun, and *probably* not as dangerous as the photos look... Nonetheless, I am pretty certain health and safety regulations in Britain wouldn't be very happy about it. Interesting really, as you're not banned from scrambling up Tryfan (scrambling is at your own risk) but somehow I feel we would draw the line as soon as something was actually man made and lawsuits could come into play...
Sheep friends, hi!

Anyhow, hope you enjoy the spring-y fare: ladders and sheep and flowers oh my!

Der Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment