Wednesday 26 February 2014

Bubbles and sunsets

Every so often on a weekend stroll around town, I bring my camera, and every so often, weather and cicumstances conspire to offer me something to photograph. This winter has been a funny one, in stark contrast to last year and the turmoil in great Britain, winter so far in  my part of Austria has been decidedly mild. There's always time for a last minute sting in the tail of course, let's not forget that there was snow on the ground here in April last year. Nonetheless, a prolonged snap of subzero temperatures doesn't seem on the cards right now. Even when it did get below zero, my memories of the heat wave of last summer were enough for me to praise the fact that at least I am comfortable in my own home in subzero temperatures!

Today we have a short selection of nine photos, including from the insanely photogenic giant bubble blowing that happens at Heldenplatz in good weather (seriously, those giant things fly for hundreds of metres, the woman who does it must have mixed the absolute perfect bubble solution!). Also present is the Stephansdom, frankly not a sight I see that often these days but it still impresses, especially when bathed in orange in the sunset. The last couple of photos are from my favourite lookout spot in the whole of Vienna, the Leopoldsberg, which has already featured many times on this blog. The best views combined with the best atmosphere, I hadn't been up there for a while either and that was a mistake!

Now the christmas period is past and the snow appears to have been beaten off early this year, I really need to get back into the hiking habit, especially in order to feed the blog hordes with photos. Last weekend I walked many kilometres soaking up the sun, but only inside the city limits. Let's see if I can change that soon. Of course I still have the photos from utterly snowy Tirol to show you, look out for them soon!

Der Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment