Friday 22 January 2010

7km, 13ft, 2kg and 3oz.

After an another abortive attempt to go climbing yesterday (the place was completely full) I was talking with Ruth and Mirva in a bar when the conversation turned to imperial measurements. I think I mentioned the sad lack of the extra 68ml advantage a pint has over a half litre or something... Anyway, although I guess it was to be expected, noone had any idea about imperial measurements. Well, I have have no idea about imperial measurements either, in terms of how many 12s, 16s or 8s make a whatever. But my main point is, it was quite embarrassing to explain the UKs strange mixture of units. Is it only me that thinks it is odd you drive at 30mph to go to the shop, buy 2kg of apples and a pound of sugar? Perhaps.

Yesterday I had my exam, and it was super easy! This does not count as boasting as I am certain it was not super easy due to me being somehow incredibly well prepared, just because it was easy for everyone. It turned out you were even allowed a sheet of A4 with notes written on it! If I had known that, I would have got way more marks than I in fact probably did. Still, something to ask about next time. I have gone from possibly having 3 exams next week to none, assuming I decide to do one exam on the second date I will have one on the 1st Feb, one on the 26th and one on the 5th March. Still surreal to be discussing when to have our exams, and the informal, in house feel of the exam room. People weren't even made to sit with space separating them, talking was not punishable by death (or WORSE, expulsion from UCL, or at least I think thats how UCL see themselves) and at no point did I have to place my phone in a plastic bag beneath my feet. Not sure what the other exams will be like.

If you can't be bothered to read all this, the summary is that foreign people are still acting differently to people from the UK. Crazy times.

No comments:

Post a Comment